Saturday, March 17, 2012

Matthew 13:53-14:12 Jesus Rejected at Nazareth

Both Jesus and John the Baptist suffered the rejection of their own people. Jesus’ homecoming was characterized by judgmental comments about him being just the carpenter’s son. How can he claim to be the Son of God? They took offense at Jesus and he could not perform many miracles there due to their unbelief. Jesus like many other prophets of the Old Testament, including John, saw firsthand the unbelief of his own people to his message.

Herod thought that Jesus was John the Baptist resurrected. John the Baptist had been imprisoned for pointing out Herod’s sin of adultery, taking his brother Philip’s wife: Herodias. At Herod’s birthday party Herodias’ daughter pleased Herod with a dance and promised to do anything for her. Herodias coached her daughter to ask for John’s head and so Herod, reluctantly, ordered his execution. John enjoyed some support from the people, but not enough to keep him alive.

I am not above my master. If he was rejected, I should expect the same treatment from the world. At times, those closest to me will be the ones who have more difficulty listening to the message of reconciliation because they know me too well. After my conversion, it took many years for my sister, and then my mother to come to the Lord. After thirty years, my father still wrestles with the Gospel I share with him. Maybe, in part, it is because a prophet does not enjoy honor in his own land. To follow Jesus is to suffer rejection especially by those closest to us.

Father, help me be strong in the midst of rejection especially from those closest to me in the family. Grant me perseverance and endurance to be your messenger until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment