Saturday, March 10, 2012

Matthew 12:9-14 A Man with a Withered Hand

When asked if it was lawful to heal on the Sabbath, Jesus reminds the Pharisees of the teaching of the Law (Ex.23:4-5; Deut.22:4). The Law required that a person take care of the ox or donkey of his brother and even his enemy. If he found it astray, he should bring it back to its owner. If he found it lying down under its burden unable to get up, he should  rescue it. He was not to leave the animal lying there helpless. And Jesus says: “Of how much more value is a man than a sheep!” And he healed the man with the withered hand. Jesus’ claim to have authority to interpret the Law was in fact a way of saying: “I am the Messiah.” For the Pharisees this was a heresy worthy of the death penalty.

At home, we have a small dog, a Puggle. Her name is Lady. One of our daughters gave the dog to us because after she bought it, she was unable to take care of it. She is fed twice a day with a few treats throughout the day, has a bed of her own, and loves to get on my lap when I sit on the couch. When her feeding time comes around and she is not fed, she begins to cry like a baby (literally sounds like it). My wife and I are moved by compassion for her and serve her food. At times it gets me thinking: Do I have more compassion for this little dog than for a human being?

I remember watching a commercial about adopting animals that moved me because they had been abused and were in need of a home. Jesus teaches me that a human being is of much more value than an animal. Why? The image of God is imprinted in each and every one of us! When we look into the face of a human being, we are staring at the face of God. Will I respond to the need of a human being with the same compassion I respond to my dog? It should be even greater. To follow Jesus is to value people more than our pets and respond to their needs with compassion.

Father, fill me with compassion for my fellow human being. Don’t ever allow me to dehumanize anyone, not even my enemy. Keep my heart filled with love for my brothers and sisters even when they hurt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment